It’s that time of year again – Back-to-School!
As a kid, I loved summer, but I always looked forward to shopping for new school supplies. I’d take my time picking out new pencils, colorful folders, and matching notebooks, and then I would try to convince my mom I needed more new supplies than what my list said I needed. Even as an adult, walking past the back-to-school section makes me feel happy and nostalgic.
Fun facts about back-to-school:
- Roughly 78 million students, including college students, return to school every fall.
- An estimated $37 billion will be spent during the back-to-school shopping season this year. This equates to about $864 per American household, which is an increase of $15 from last year.
- Didaskaleinophobia is the diagnosable fear of returning to school, which affects about 2.4% of children.
- The average pencil can be sharpened 17 times and write about 45,000 words or draw a line 35 miles long before it’s out of service.
- Across the country, there are approximately 480,000 registered school buses, taking 26 million children to and from school every day. This keeps an estimated 17.3 million cars off the road every year, saving 2.3 billion gallons of fuel.
As a parent (or grandparent) you know this can be a stressful transitional period. Maybe you haven’t finished your school shopping, or you’re concerned about getting back to a stricter schedule. Or maybe you’re more worried about inflation, whether you’re saving enough for future tuition, or your children’s financial literacy. But the back-to-school season is also a time for a fresh start and renewed motivation. So, once you’ve settled into your new routine, and you have questions about your investment accounts, your 529 plans, or want us to meet with the next generation, give us a call.
In the meantime, check out some of our previous blogs about 529 plans and our complimentary services:
- BACK TO SCHOOL MONTH -August 2022 – National Today
- Back-to-school – statistics & facts | Statista
- 35 Fun facts about back to school craziness! | Blue Water Credit
Clicking on the links above may result in you leaving the Pittenger & Anderson, Inc. website. The opinions and ideas expressed on these external websites are those of third-party vendors and Pittenger & Anderson, Inc. has not approved or endorsed any of this third-party content. For the full Terms & Conditions of using the Pittenger & Anderson, Inc. website, click on this link.
Pittenger & Anderson, Inc. does not provide tax, legal, or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal, or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal, and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction. Additionally, the information presented here is not intended to be a recommendation to buy or sell any specific security. To learn more about our firm and investment approach, check out our Form ADV.
To view this article and others like it online, visit the P&A blog at https://pittand.com/blog/.
Click here to download the PDF version of this article.